My first AeroGarden experience has been an interesting one. I ordered a Bounty Classic earlier in the year, and after a long wait it finally arrive... defective. About five minutes into the setup process the touchscreen went blank, and it hasn't worked since. I'm now realizing the Classic was discontinued and upgraded last year, so I'm unsure why they were still available for sale (they're no longer listed on the website). Perhaps I received a refurbished model that wasn't quite refurbished enough.
Anyway, the touchscreen was broken but apparently I got far enough through the setup process that the lights and pump were programmed. I reached out to AeroGarden customer service and received no reply, so I figured "why not" and planted the garden anyway.
Two months later, I think it's looking alright for a broken garden:
Left to right: sweet bell pepper, poblano pepper, mega cherry tomato
Eventually I heard from AeroGarden and they promised to ship me a replacement, but I still haven't received a shipping notice so I'm not holding my breath. But in spite the issues I definitely have the AeroGarden bug!
Last Edit: Jul 14, 2020 23:48:28 GMT -5 by tonydedo
That is well over a hundred bucks or 2 of merchandise..I would call them again as well as a following email.
Hah! It was two Bounty Elite gardens, so we're talking a lot more than a couple hundred bucks, but it's only money.
I'm trying to be patient and understanding - these are unprecedented times and all - but it is frustrating to see new orders being fulfilled while my order from April is still unresolved and they take three weeks to respond to an email.
Fortunately I found some AeroGardens on the second hand market which I'm able to play with until my new Bounty gardens arrives.
The replacement AeroGardens finally arrived - it only took 12 weeks! I'm supposed to cut the power cord and trash the defective model, but these guys are a little too big to transplant so I'm going to wait until I harvest.
Unfortunately the bell pepper plant doesn't seem to have pollinated well - the deck is littered with dropped flowers and undeveloped fruit, and there are only 2 fruit and 3-4 flowers growing. I'm surprised because the poblano peppers seem to be flourishing and the tomato is doing okay. I used the AeroGarden "bee" and had a fan running on the plants when I was away. I wonder if there was an issue with airflow that pollinated the poblano but missed the bell pepper.
Interesting video, although it didn't really give any definitive answers. I guess it comes down to reading your plants, and I just don't speak the language yet. But I learned French once just to impress a girl, so eventually I'll figure this out too.
For now I'm going to chalk it up to poor pollination, and I'll just have to be more diligent with the pollinator.
Meanwhile, look at those poblanos! I'm having dreams of chili rellenos.
Looks nice. Also I have found not every plant performs like you would think. I have had plants with tons of fruits and then there have been some with just a few. DO not let it deter you. Remember you can garden and try new things, end thing and restart all year long
Back in March a good friend who is a therapist recommended gardening as something relaxing to help during stressful or frustrating times. She failed to mention how stressful and frustrating gardening could be. Or maybe it's just me.
I had two good flowers left on my first pepper plant, the one that dropped all its buds and has refused to produce any fruit. I've been diligently watching those two flowers, running a fan on them during the day and pollinating by hand with the bee every other day. I pruned back the neighboring plant to make sure it got a little more light. Water level is good, nutrient level is good, everything else about the plant looks excellent.
tonydedo, it probably needs potassium. I use a little Dyna Grow Bloom. Corinne uses a pinch of dry Miracle Grow Bloom (much cheaper) to induce more and healthier blooms. A couple of ml of CalMag or Mooch would probably help. Peppers seem to need it.
I added 4ml of CalMag on Wednesday, along with 4ml of nutrients. Maybe it was too little, too late. I considered adding more, but EC was 2.3, pH was 7.0; I didn't want to saturate it or drive the pH up.
I've been giving them 12ml of AG nutrients every 2 weeks, although I reduced it to 8ml of nutrients and 4ml of CalMag the last two feedings. EC tends to be around 1.5 before feeding, 2.3 after feeding. pH has ranged from 6.5-7.0.
When measured, water temperature always reflects room temperature, usually 69-72, although it may get hotter at night when the AC is off (room can get up in the high 70s at night). I reduced the pump a bit to see if that changes anything.
Roots look good.
I haven't done an R&R because the roots look clean and I add water so often (1L every 2-3 days) that there didn't seem to be a need.
What I find most unusual is that the poblano pepper in the middle of the garden has a ton of fruit on it, whereas the bell pepper next to it is barren. I'd think if it were an environmental condition, it would affect both plants. And both plants look super healthy. I'm beginning to wonder if it's just a bad plant...
There are some plants that just do not bare a lot of fruit. I have grown (although not as many as some) lots of peppers and some Iget a great amount while others I only get a few. I can not remember if I get more hot or sweet.