A Little Disappointed / Feeling Defeated Nov 13, 2019 19:50:42 GMT -5
Post by danastl on Nov 13, 2019 19:50:42 GMT -5
Fellow AG owners, I'd like some opinions!
We are on day 96 with our Farm XL, and generally we are disappointed in the quality of produce we've grown.
We are growing the Tomato and Salad kits that 'came with' the Farm. You can see some photos in this thread (I'll try and add some newer photos soon):
The kits came with 12 pods in each, with a note that previous kits came with fewer, but that they've done their research and all 12 could be grown at once.
As you can tell from the Garden Patches photo journal, we saw some strange things as early as 30 days in, especially with the tomatoes. I should note that the garden is in our basement, set on concrete, with pretty cool temperatures (probably in the 60 - 65 degree range).
Fast forward a few more months, and we've been battling with these plants. I'll break this down by garden type.
- "Outside" plants seem generally healthy, while "inside" plants are stunted, some with mold - too much moisture, too many plants?
- The plants are still pretty short, hardly taller than 6", which makes it feel like buying the tallest size was a waste.
- The tomatoes are still not ripe, we have a range from green to orange to red, none of which are 'popping off' easily. Should we have ripe tomatoes by day 96?
- My husband picked one of the most ripe-looking tomatoes and he said that it tasted bitter and bland. I added nutes 5 days ago.
- The lettuce grew nicely for the first 20 - 30 days, but we also saw some mold and lack of growth in the middle of the deck.
- After our first harvest (harvested 1/3 of the plants), we had to throw away half due to mold or browning.
- Of the remaining plants, 2 did not recover, and the rest have some browned leaves where we cut, which are not very appetizing. Two plants grew 'stalks' out of the center of the plant, which we cut off.
- They have been slow to recover, and it took about 3 weeks before the leaves were large enough to cut again (1/3 of the plant).
- I just harvested one plant and found it to be very bitter (as above, I added nutes 5 days ago).
What are your thoughts? Did we make newbie mistakes? We've been up-to-date on nutes and water, but only giving them 4 caps of nutes instead of 6 (advise we got here). Can the AG seed kits be problematic or lack taste, would we be better to do the Grow Your Own?
I have to be honest in that we feel pretty defeated and disappointed in the whole experience. Due to its size, we cannot move the Farm upstairs. Would it be better to start over with new plants? Can we save these ones?
<rect width="0" height="0"></rect> <!-- Used for easily cloning the properly namespaced rect -->